Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A New Perspective On Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving.

The holiday during which we all give thanks.

This year I am only reminded of the people in this ugly world with nothing to be thankful for. This topic has been on my mind lately. I promised myself that I would never spend more than $100 on something of no useful value (purses, shoes, clothes, stuff). If it is something I need for my job (computer, because my job is school right now) then I can live with spending a bit more than $100. I have decided that if I ever feel the need to spend $450 on a purse, there is something wrong. Something is missing. The money that I might spend on non-essential pleasures might save a life. If I ever get to a point that I spend that kind of money on material things, call me out. Because most likely I will be trying to fill a need that is only filled with God. Call me out. I want you to full on smack me in the mouth if that's what it takes.

My blessings belong to the Lord and His people. I am very fortunate to have a nice home and family. Some are not as fortunate. I owe it all to my Lord. I want to give as much of that back as humanly possible. I could live in a card board box for the rest of my life and die happy as long as God is in my life. Wealth means nothing in the world beyond this one. In heaven I will be the richest girl in all existence, because I will be able to spend every moment walking with Jesus.

This year I have a new perspective on Thanksgiving. I am thankful for many things, most of which are Sunday-school answers: my family, my house, my dog. My, my, my, my, me, me, me, me. I am sick of only thinking of myself. So this Thanksgiving I am making an effort to thank God for the missionaries spreading His word, the soldiers fighting far from home, the people fighting the human trafficking industry, and--most of all-- I am thankful for Jesus Christ and his sacrifice on the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment